About This Blog

.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

If people will matter most then,shouldn't they matter most now/

Over the past few years not only my life changed a lot but also my view of life. I have always been the kind of person that hides my emotions, and I used to look pretty heartless. Deep inside I never was but my actions looked as I was one. My priority was always basketball and everything else was after that. It is killing me to say it but even my family was in the background. I always used to put first playing in this game or the other one, winning that championship, going to that practice, my speed, my jumping abilities everything that had to do with basketball. I was not going out pretty much...I did not have the time to I was in the gym 24/7. I THOUGHT I had a lot of friends. Everybody wanted to be my friend, you know how it is when you are a star, everybody loves you and they are all your best friends. But I guess I was way younger to know it back then. So when I injured and I stopped playing, all these tons of friends were not there anymore. There were only three people and my family that stayed with me when the rest of the world walked out and left me. Their names are Emilia Yancheva, Stefka Miteva and Aleksander Nikolov. They were the people that gave me strenght all along the journey and never let me give up.
Emi has been my best friend for the past 8 years. I remember the first time I met her, we did not get along good-NOT AT ALL! I could never think that one day she would be my best friend, but with time we got to know each other and we've been best friends since then. She has always supported me and never let me think to give up! She is an amazing person. She always encourages me, she is also a really funny person she can always make you laugh. We went through a lot with her. I remember one European championship-it was the worst championship in the world and the coaches were awful and thank God Emi was there otherwise I would have gone crazy.So I wanna say thank you Emi!!!I love you!
Stefi- here it was kind of the same. We did not like each other too much at the beginning but then we went to a camp with the national team, and there we became really close. She is a great person, she is kinda like me a little strange so that is why we get along! I remember when I injured she came and said "If you are expecting me to be sorry for you like everybody else you are WRONG, 'cause I am not gonna do that but I will always be there for you and you are strong enough to get over it". Tell you the truth she was the person I did not expect that will be besides me because the last couple months before my injury we were not really close but you know how sometimes the people you least expect help you to stand up when you are falling down.
And last but not least is Asho. I know him since first grade. We were not that close while we were studying together but later on in high school we met at the gym-he also played basketball. He is also really supportive. I remember one of my injuries(the one before the last injury). I was in the hospital and it was late at night and nobody could be there with me because the doctors did not let them stay there. And Asho stayed awake all night long and texted me-he wrote me exactly 52tesxt messages with all kind of funny messages so I won't be sad, he also called me a couple times and he really made one of the longest nights in my life a little brighter and easier. Back then(cause that was a serious injury too) I though I would never come back on the court as good as I was 'cause I had to rest for about six months, and I remember what he told me: "Six months are a long time but dreams are stronger so you will do it". These words used to echo in my head for a long time after that.
So they are all amazing people and thanks to them and the injury and everybody that left me I realized that it is not important how many friends you have in your life but the quality of your friends! And the quality of the friends I have... I could not ask for more. And add my family-my sister and my parents, that also gave me big support and even if they do not always approve what I am doing they never stopped me and always supported me. So I wanna say THANK YOU to all of them.
After the injury staying in my room crying for about an year and staring at all those medals and awards I have, I realized that what I was striving for while I was playing(those stupid medals and awards-just useless trash) was now just making my life harder, and did not help me much to overcome the pain, and see people is what helped me and what gave me strength to keep going... So think over this one-When you are in the final days of your life, what will you want?Will you hug that college degree in the walnut frame?Will you ask to be carried to the garage so you can sit in your car?Will you find comfort in rereading your financial statement? Of course not.What will matter then will be people. If relationships will... matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now?
And next time when you think that exam, or work or whatever is more important then your friends and family, remember what I asked you to think about!

No comments: