About This Blog

.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Sugar slaves

Yesterday I was driving and listening a radio talk show. They were talking about healthy eating. I got curious what they had to say and payed more attention...then I was shocked! Their theory was that people who are conscious about eating healthy are supposed to be really boring. The arguments were that if you go to a party with friends and you do not eat some chips and some pies that would be really miserable. They even went further saying "Oh, I feel so sorry for people eating healthy, they probably do not even have a reason to smile!"....What in the world were they thinking...

I guess that is the problem most people have when they try eating healthy. They feel deprived and miserable, thinking they are missing all the joy in life. But I think that this depends on the perception you have towards food, i.e. whether you LIVE TO EAT or you EAT TO LIVE! Everything comes down to the point where the direction where you set your mind to go will influence the way you feel about food.

I myself don't spend my day feeling deprived for not "being allowed" to eat junk. Because I do not forbid myself eating it, I just do not feel the need to eat it anymore. When somebody is stuffing some donuts I know that if I feel like it I am more than welcome to get some too, but the thing is that instead of bringing me joy and making me happy eating crappy foods makes me feel tired and sick.

Most people that make food a matter of life's joy are simply addicted to it. They are actually addicted to the rush they feel right after having that piece of cake or the candy, but what they are having a hard time realizing is that later on they are paying much higher cost for the pleasure they had by feeling tired, sick,miserable and depressed.

And before you get aggressie about it let me explain...When you eat sugar, your blood sugar rises quickly and your pancreas immediately jumps into overdrive. This increase in blood sugar causes the pancreas to secrete the hormone insulin. Insulin's job is to get that sugar out of the bloodstream by delivering it to cells where it can be used for energy. But if there's no demand for energy it gets stored as fat. If it stays in your bloodstream, it is toxic sludge and must be removed. Now, the body steps up its efforts to achieve homeostasis by releasing both adrenaline and cortisol (the stress hormones). Your heat rate is higher and you may feel a little flushed at this point or even nauseous. But that "sugar high" is short term, and you will soon experience the "sugar crash". This happens when all the sugar is out of your bloodstream and you start to feel sluggish and tired.

ANd probably what most of you are going to do in order to feel better is grab another candy bar...and thus it becomes an enchanted cycle where everything repeats over and over again, besides everytime you are hurting your body more and more...

So what I explained above does not sound like a lot of fun to me, and I do not see a reason for anybody that destroys their body that way to waste time feeling sorry about me and others eating healthy! I'd reccomend to take care of yourself first and then worry about others!

No comments: