About This Blog

.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The more is your potential...the more they will try to break you

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." ~ T.E. Lawrence



The past weekend I went to watch the Bulgarian National Swimming Championship. During competitions like this you can see everything. It is strange how competitions and life are so much alike. You could experience the whole palette of feelings in just three days of competeing-the triumph and the failure; the pride and the shame; the satisfaction and disappointment; the happiness and the pain... some people need a lifetime to experience all these feelings...and an athlete needs just an opportunity to compete...

It can be overwhelming at times to be out there, with so much going on at the same time...lost somewhere between your own expectations and other people's expectations for you! Something that I witnessed made me think of the time when I was a basketball player. At the beginning of my career I was playing at position five or also cold center. After that when I became a better player and started playing for the national team I saw what other centers looked like. They were way taller and bigger than me, and I realized that if I wanted to achieve my dreams and play with the best I had no future being under the basket. I was skilled enough to be playing at position 3(small forward). I had to work a little bit on my speed(that was the only thing I lacked at that time). 


Most coaches in Bulgaria did not like the idea to work additionally with me, so I could persue the goal of being a small forward. I was fine as a center but just in my country where I was among the tallest players. So why would they care about my future? I was doing a pretty good job now, so I had to be a center. And my dreams...they are just for me. All they cared for was theyr own benefit.


After some time of wondering in different teams I found a coach that wanted to help me become a small forward. I started getting faster and better and I was starring in every game. But that was still not enough. Game after game I was tired of hearing why I couldn't be a small forward. I remember how I scored 52points, grabbed 25rebounds, had 10 steals and 10 assists. I was averaging 34points a game, 23rebounds, and 6steals for the whole season and I was never good enough. They had their own view for things. It was just that if I was a forward I was taking somebody's else position in the national team and you know how it is with mommy's and daddy's girls. They are sacred and even if you are better you can't take their place. So till my last injury that was just the usual situation. I was helping my team win a game after game, I received almost every personal award there was out there but there was always somebody to deny my abilities. Why am I telling this?


Because that is what I see happening with one of the Bulgarian swimmers. He is really hard working and talented, and he has big dreams about his swimming career. But there are still those that out of envy or something else try to belittle his ambitions  and seed thoughts of doubt in his head. He is 25 and they tell him that he is TOO OLD to achieve what he wants! ome on? Too old? Do we live in the same worl? Haven't you already seen that nothing is impossible for the one who dares to dream..who dares to fight for his dreams? Haven't you heard about storries for disabeled people, starting to walk, run,win and so on? About people braking records after their biggest failures? Why do most people always try to discourage those that dare to achieve?


Is it out of insecurity? That is what I think! If somebody tells you why you can't, it is most likely that he is seeing the potential you have. he is afraid that you will use your abilities, and you will reach the top...that will make him feel inferior! That will make him feel a failure...just because he doesn't have the strength to dare...the strength to fight and be what he can! He is afraid to reach his full potential and that is why he'd rather you stay where you are...so you won't make him look bad! 


When somebody tries to discourage you...tries to make you quit...that should motivate you to try twice as hard, because that means you are a threat! That means you have the potential to pursue what you dream for! Go ahead and don't quit. Do not let scared people to interfere with you living the life of your dreams!



3 comments:

oakleyses said...

louboutin pas cher, nike free, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton, polo outlet, nike air max, longchamp pas cher, jordan shoes, ray ban sunglasses, gucci handbags, tiffany and co, jordan pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, nike free run, sac longchamp pas cher, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, prada outlet, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo ralph lauren, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors pas cher, replica watches, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, burberry pas cher, tory burch outlet, nike roshe, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, ugg boots, nike outlet, christian louboutin shoes, uggs on sale, christian louboutin

oakleyses said...

hermes belt, hollister, lancel, abercrombie and fitch, chi flat iron, instyler, north face outlet, louboutin, asics running shoes, nfl jerseys, ferragamo shoes, new balance shoes, mont blanc pens, vans outlet, celine handbags, hollister clothing, mcm handbags, mac cosmetics, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti outlet, converse outlet, nike air max, longchamp uk, oakley, reebok outlet, bottega veneta, nike air max, timberland boots, insanity workout, nike trainers uk, gucci, lululemon, baseball bats, soccer shoes, soccer jerseys, north face outlet, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, hollister, nike roshe run, vans, ray ban, babyliss, jimmy choo outlet, nike huaraches, p90x workout, ghd hair, ralph lauren, herve leger, iphone cases

oakleyses said...

ugg,uggs,uggs canada, barbour uk, moncler outlet, coach outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, thomas sabo, canada goose, moncler outlet, links of london, canada goose outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler uk, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, marc jacobs, replica watches, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose jackets, swarovski, pandora charms, canada goose outlet, toms shoes, moncler, swarovski crystal, doudoune moncler, louis vuitton, moncler, pandora jewelry, ugg, barbour, louis vuitton, hollister, canada goose outlet, karen millen uk, ugg pas cher, supra shoes, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, pandora uk, canada goose, ugg uk, canada goose uk, louis vuitton